It happened a lot in 2014. In 2014 Google updates its search algorithm hundreds of times. Most of these updates are minor but every few months, boom! – the search engine giant rolls out a major update that affects search results in a significant way.
While analysing and worrying about Google algorithm changes may make sense for search engine optimisation (SEO) experts and webmasters, small business owners don’t have the time to keep up with every update.
Here’s what happened to the 2014 Google Updates:
- Panda 4.0 and the updated Google Quality Rating Guidelines
- Google’s abandonment of authorship markup
- An adjustment to the local ranking algorithm (the Pigeon update)
- A new ranking signal in HTTPS (secure encryption)
- Penguin 3.0
- The full 123-Reg blog post is here
Read on and hopefully you’ll get a better understanding of the 2014 Google updates so you can make changes to your site or you can ask us to advise and help increase a better digital strategy for your business. You can guarantee there will be more Google Updates in 2015.